Most homes these days have a large variety of electrical appliances in use requiring a great amount of energy to run throughout the home, especially with the rise in electrical devices and modern day appliances. On average, you are likely to find 2-3 electrical power points per room in a modern-day home depending on the size and type of the room. However, for some appliances this is not sufficient. It can be extremely dangerous and a lot easier than you may think to overload power points in your home. It can easily occur even without using an extension cord or power adapter and can result in damaging attached devices or starting a house fire.
Most electrical house fires can be prevented with proper usage and regular electricity checks. The worst part about an electrical fire is that they spread extremely quickly and need to be put out by a Type C Fire Extinguisher otherwise there is the risk of electrocution if it comes in contact with water.
How to avoiding overloading your power points
There are a range of things you can implement in your home to avoid overloading your powerpoint. These include:
- Avoid using extension cords and power adapters as these provide you with the opportunity to overload your power socket with more plugs than it should be holding
- Steer clear from purchasing home appliances high in energy efficiencies and invest more in better ranked products
- Protect yourself from overloading a power socket by getting your electrician to install circuit breaks, this cuts out the whole electricity circuit if there is too much energy travelling through it
- Don’t connect two appliances high in energy efficiency to the same power socket (Example: Washing machine and clothes dryer)
- Get regular electricity checks and updates to ensure there are no electrical issue and to ensure your home is up to date with electrical safety features, as outdated and faulty power points can ignite electrical fires
- If you require a power board in your home make sure you purchase the correct complexity and avoid using it if you can
- Turn electrical appliances off when they’re not in use
- If you do use power boards regularly it might be a wise decision to contact your electrician and get more power outlets installed where they are required
Common home appliances loading your power points with high energy efficiency
Electrical home appliance products vary in energy efficiency rankings, it is important to look out for these rankings as they can ultimately save you a lot of money on your energy bill and can minimise your risk of overloading your powerpoint. Some common electrical home appliances high in energy efficiencies include:
There are a range of hair dryer models available on the market, make sure you check their energy efficiency rating to minimise energy use as they are often used daily among households.
Refrigerators & Freezers
A refrigerator or freezer is in use 24hrs a day as it is unlikely to be turned off, because of this, it uses a great amount of energy in your home. Making it important to purchase an appropriate sized refrigerator or freezer obtaining a great energy rating to minimise your energy use.
Washing Machines & Clothes Dryers
Washing machines and clothes dryers are available as top loaders and front loaders which vary in energy efficiencies and sizes. Make a purchase decision based on your lifestyle and needs while ensuring it has a great energy rating, and remember if a clothes dryer is overfilled its energy consumption is enhanced.
When purchasing an oven you will often be given the choice of choosing between gas or electricity. Make your decision depending on which energy efficiency rating suits your lifestyle best.
TVs & Computer Monitors
TVs and computer monitors are commonly left on standby when they are not in use, therefore are constantly contributing to your energy bill. When these devices are in use it is often during peak energy periods which enhances their energy consumption.
Air Conditioners & Heaters
Air conditioners and heaters vary in sizes and are only used throughout particular seasons of the year. When they are in use they are one of the biggest energy consumers, especially considering they are often left on for a long duration of time.
Making an electrical purchase decision should always be based on the products particular energy efficiency rating and in line with your lifestyle needs. Particularly don’t make an impulse decision on the above electrical products as they will likely be consuming the majority of your energy so require all aspects to be considered.
There are a lot of simple methods that you can employ to avoid overloading your power points in your home and given the dangers, you should not risk ignoring it. If you have not had your electricity checked recently, it may be time to contact Northern Lights residential electricians Auckland right away. Northern Lights offer house wiring Auckland so can rewire your entire house to ensure it is meeting the standard electricity requirement. Northern Lights are electricians in Auckland who can come visit you and guarantee that your home is free from an electrical fire occurring.