Unfortunately electrical problems in homes are an all too common occurrence. Not only can electrical faults be a nuisance, it goes without saying that it can also be extremely dangerous. It is important to have regularly scheduled electrical check-ups to protect yourself and your home.
There are many things that can go wrong with electricity. Let’s look into some of the most common electrical problems in the home, and what you can do to prevent a danger from occur.
Flickering or dimming lights
Have you ever noticed that your lights flicker or dim when you use them? If so, this might be because you have faulty electrical wiring. Having faulty electrical wiring can be extremely dangerous, and if you notice something different, you should call an electrician immediately. The most serious reason for flickering lights is loose wiring, which is a major cause of house fires.
Dimmer switches allow you to adjust the LED lightning in your home. However, they can come with issues. A common issue is that they can make a buzz when they are turned on. The first thing you can do if you experience buzzing dimmers is to check the wattage you are using – sometimes it can help to use a lower wattage bulb. Buzzing dimmer switches can also be a symptom of a major electrical problem in your home, so if changing the bulb doesn’t work, you should turn to an electrician that can help you.
Tripping circuit breaker
A circuit breaker is designed to protect an electrical circuit from damage caused by power overload. It is well known that older homes are not designed for the modern lifestyles – back then we had fewer appliances and used less power. A circuit breaker will trip off when it is overloaded, to protect the circuit from being overheated and causing a fire. A major reason for a tripping circuit breaker is the use of high wattage items, like microwaves and hairdryers, particularly when other power consuming items are used on the same source.
If a circuit breaker trips constantly, you should consider adding another circuit. You can also prevent this by being mindful of how you connect devices around the home and by removing devices that aren’t in use (some devices can draw power even when not connected, like a phone charger).
Exposed wires is another dangerous problem. If you notice that your home has exposed wires, contact an electrician to get them replaced as soon as possible. With exposed wires around your house, you might be putting yourself at a risk of electrocution.
Non-functional GFCI outlets
Most modern homes feature Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI), which are essentially mini circuit breakers integrated into individual power sockets. These are especially used in bathrooms and kitchens, and if they are non-functional, they are a danger and can cause overheating or even a fire. If you are still using outlets that don’t have GFCI devices in them, you should get them replaced as soon as possible.
Electricity is dangerous and should be taken seriously. If you ever experience any electrical problems, don’t hesitate to contact a professional electrician. Or, if you’re based in Auckland contact us or give us a call on 0800 177 275. Northern Lights Lightning & Electrical has over 20 years of experience and has a large team of highly skilled electricians.